Urgent Appeal - Indonesia: Killings, torture, mass arrests and excessive use of force against Papuans commemorating 1 December
- Published on Sunday, 20 December 2015 08:56
Indonesia: Killings, torture, mass arrests and excessive use of force against Papuans
commemorating 1 December
- Published on Wednesday, 11 November 2015 12:47
In its latest report, the ICP brings together the research of 25 organisations and experts from in- and outside West Papua on the situation of human rights, indigenous peoples' rights and the conflict situation there. It details in particular the demographic development and its causes as well as the ongoing violence by security forces that targets indigenous Papuans.
The development of the human rights situation in West Papua during 2013 and 2014 shows a deterioration compared to the period covered by the ICP’s previous report. West Papua on the Guinea island bordering Asia and the Pacific and comprising the two east Indonesian provinces of Papua and Papua Barat continues to be one of the regions of Asia most seriously affected by human rights violations and an unresolved long standing political conflict. The living conditions of the indigenous Papuan peoples are in stark contrast to those of the trans-migrants from other parts of Indonesia.
- Published on Tuesday, 20 October 2015 13:26
Apriadi Gunawan and Nethy Darma Somba, The Jakarta Post, October 18th 2015
The intensity of smoke produced by peatland and forest fires has remained at alarming levels in many parts of the country, reaching as far as Papua, which usually does not suffer from forest fires.
- Published on Monday, 02 November 2015 10:41
by Hans Nicholas Jong, The Jakarta Post, October 30 2015
While the annual land and forest fires usually occurr in Sumatra and Kalimantan, a large agricultural project in Merauke, Papua, could turn the eastern part of Indonesia into a new hotbed of fires in the archipelago.
- Published on Tuesday, 20 October 2015 11:43
The September Pacific Island Forum gathering of regional leaders agreed to send a fact-finding mission to West Papua. The decision reflects growing regional concern about the plight of Papuans who have suffered grievously since the annexation by Indonesia five decades ago.
- Published on Monday, 26 October 2015 11:10
By Neles Tebay
This year has seen a new development in the Papuan struggle. The resistance against Indonesia's rule over the territory of the western half of New Guinea is no longer led by the old guard of Papuans who had experienced Dutch colonial rule and had witnessed the 1969 Act of Free Choice that resulted in Papua's integration into the Republic of Indonesia.
- Published on Monday, 05 October 2015 12:13
The Solomon Islands prime minister, Manasseh Sogavare, has called on France to implement the decolonisation process for French Polynesia approved by the United Nations two years ago.
- Published on Friday, 23 October 2015 13:13
Our friends from ETAN have created an online petition addressed to US president Barack Obama, who will meet with Indonesian president Joko Widodo on October 26th 2015.
In the petition, ETAN urges Obama to support an end to human rights violations in the provinces of Papua and West Papua.
- Published on Thursday, 01 October 2015 12:02
By Neles Tebay, published in The Jakarta Post on September 29th 2015
The conflict between the government and indigenous Papuans, particularly those Papuans involved with the Free Papua Movement (OPM), has long been considered an Indonesian domestic affair. The government has rejected the involvement of any foreign parties in the settlement of issues faced in Papua.
- Papuan church leaders respond to Tolikara incident
- West Papua MSG Observer - Indonesia's status elevated
- AI Urgent Action: Papuan activists detained and charged
- AI Statement: End mass arbitrary arrests of peaceful protesters in Papua
- Government unwilling to genuinely protect freedom of expression
- May 2015: While Jokowi releases five, nearly 500 are arrested
- Papuan journalist arrested as world calls for Papua press freedom
- ICP Brussels Appeal 2015
- Open Letter: Promoting human rights, peace and democracy in Indonesia
- Jokowi in Papua
- „Tanah Mama“ – The struggle of a mother in Papua
- No new Regions in Papua for now